Friday, March 25, 2011

Ghetto DIY

Another old project I just dug up photos for.  It's an old PowerBook 1400cs I repurposed as a digital frame.  It was really easy on these models; a few screws and the screen flipped right around, making the base the stand.  I put it up on the shelf over my TV.  The laptop was a donation, and I think with parts this ran around $10 or so.  It didn't come with a power brick but I had an extra laying around (which might say something about me.)  I put OS 8 on there with a JPEGView slideshow at launch and automatic reboot if the power went out.  With a wireless card and shared folders I could manage it over the network.  The only real downside was the lower-quality screen on the 1400cs vs. the 1400c.

I got it with the screen already flipped (bonus!)

We can rebuild it, we have the technology.
Phase 1: assembly
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: profit!
P.S. I don't have that couch any more, so don't worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment